Friday, February 11, 2011

Decisions

As y'all can see I have deleted the majority of my posts. I guess I am the worse kept secret around the department and in this area as who I really am. The Command Staff or IA has not contacted me yet but I figure it will be just a matter of time.

I found that the Houston Chronicle had a link to my blog. I never intended for this blog to blow up like it has. I just wanted to vent by writing. Not in my wildest dreams did I think I would get the following that I have. I never imagined meeting people from all over the world. I am truly lucky and blessed.

So decisions, decisions. I can not continue to write what I want to write. I can not explain how messed up the criminal justice system is and how messed up police departments can be. I can not write about what I see and hear out on the streets. The American public has freedom of speech, a cop don't.

So what do I do? Do I just post tie pictures and meal reviews? Do I write about riding my motorcycle and those adventures? Do I still post caption pictures? How about all the pretty girl pictures? What is to far? When do I cross the line?

Do I comment on officer safety and training issues? How about issues that are not talked about, like suicides, the divorce rate and the rate of cops drinking themselves to death? What will I be able to get away with? What will get me in trouble with my department or get me subpoenaed to court?

If I can't go balls to the wall do I even go at all? I have to decide what to do. I have a lot of life changing decisions that will be made with in the next week or two (my own set deadline) and this blog is only one of them.

15 comments:

Bushwack said...

I don't understand your issue? As long as you don't post names or sensitive topics (Ongoing stuff) you should be able to post what you want... There are several cops that blog and are pretty open about what's wrong in their depts or the system as a whole..

I suggest you contact your union rep and a lawyer to see what you can do and cant do.

I also have to temper my writing (A LITTLE) because of my career, but I refuse to be silent about what bugs me...This is a vent man, use it.

Groundhog said...

Maybe the Ghostrider needs a ghostwriter?

Scott Pantall said...

Good luck on making your decision. Sounds like a hard one to make. As a police dispatcher, I look forward to reading your posts. There are so many things that happen on the other side of the radio that I only hear from you and other police bloggers.

I also understand that personal politics, laziness, weird policies and overall ridiculous-ness happen not only in your department, but in agencies across the country. A police department is a workplace just like any other in that regard. Unfortunately, the general public doesn't understand that or just want to use those examples to show how the police is abusing power or taxes or whatever.

Sorry you lost your anonymity. Maybe you could start another blog called "Houston Specterrider" or something. No one will ever know it's you. :P

Gia's Spot said...

TGR, Such heavy duty decisions you have had to make in the last months! I will be sad to lose a "friend" and those tie posts! As a dispatcher, I respect your service and the way you handle this blog. It has Integrity and serves to de-stress in a nice way! (Well maybe not the girlie posts, but hey, I am Gia!) I hope you are able to keep it! All the best
Gia

suz said...

I guess that's your punishment for being so good! I DO NOT want to lose you, but you can't risk your career...

Bartender Cabbie said...

The thought police are going to police the police. That sucks. your blog is great.

Yellow said...

One of my big fears of blogging about T-rex's job is that someone is going to find out it is him, and we will deal with a nasty fall out. Even if I only post public information, or hide the whos and whats so well that it could be anything. Its a hard risk to take. Yet for me people need to know more about police work, on all sides.

I hope you can find a way to keep writing. Yet I understand that balls to the wall or nothing at all.

Good luck.

Tamale Chica said...

TGR, good luck with whatever you decide. One of the tough aspects of being both sociable and having an anonymous blog is they don't go together very well.

Jeff said...

Your blog is great and I always look forward to reading your posts but your it's your career that pays the bills.
Tough choices TG very tough.

CI-Roller Dude said...

Dude, we ain't got no rights. that's why when I do post on cop stuff...it's old stuff.
That's why the post I do on Army stuff is older and my face is blacked out.

Josh Kruschke said...

Best of wishes in what ever you decide.

Josh

Bob G. said...

TGR:
As far as I'm concerned (regarding the first Amendment) as long as you keep it "anonymous" about names, places, procedures, etc.) there should NEVER be a problem.

BTW, you're CORRECT - the judicial system IS FUBAR!

And I've seen other GOOD blogs like yours bite the dust because of "internal" issues.
Don't wanna see YOU added to the mix.

Hell, it used to be called FREE speech for a damn reason!

You're always welcome to guest post at MY place, if you want.
(and I DO name names and places...screw being "PC")

But whatver decision YOU make, I'll back 'ya 100% (even if it's not the one "I" would do).

YOUR blog...YOUR voice...YOUR choice, partner.

Hang tough.
Roll safe out there.

Jason said...

I had to lock mine and only invite certain people.

Wandering Soul said...

TGR, that sucks!! :(
Keep in touch with me via the other venues....and I'm coming to Texas later this summer so I will meet up with you, Jason, & RR! :)

Louis said...

Good luck on making your decision. Sounds like a hard one to make. As a police dispatcher, I look forward to reading your posts. There are so many things that happen on the other side of the radio that I only hear from you and other police bloggers.
https://nhacchuonghay.info/,
https://nhacchuonghay.info/nhac-my-tam,
https://nhacchuonghay.info/nhac-thieu-nhi,